Director of Engineering
Blippar is a leading technology company specializing in augmented reality, artificial intelligence and computer vision. Since launching in 2011, Blippar has been pioneering in Augmented Reality (AR) and we have since built an AR ecosystem.
We are looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to join our London team. In this role you will be responsible for delivering the product and technology roadmap, which makes your role extremely important for our success and ensuring customer satisfaction and loyalty.
What success looks like:
- Delivery on the product roadmap. Planned and executed delivery on major, complex projects, such as the development of our SaaS platform.
- Technical leadership. Responsible for reviewing the high level architecture designs and the ensuring internal and external APIs are stable and well-maintained.
- Culture of excellence. Help teams setup good practices: coding practices (e.g. logging), security should be top-of-mind, automated delivery (testing, continuous integration, deployments), alerting and monitoring.
- Increase delivery capability. Help minimize technical debt, improve our processes and codebase so we can quickly build and deploy, whilst maintaining a high quality code base and product.
- Monitor and manage progress of different projects. Manage multiple platforms ensuring there are no obstacles to project development, that everyone across the business understands the roadmap and technical priorities, and that requirements and dependencies across the business are managed.
- Scale the team. Develop a plan for growing the team in such a way that drives efficiency and improves quality whilst supporting the growth plans for the business. Lead on recruitment efforts and talent development.
- Evangelise Blippar. Enhance our reputation by providing thought leadership and driving brand awareness. Be a credible spokesperson and represent us at events, speaking opportunities and pitches.
- Business as usual. Leadership & management of the engineering team day to day, establishing their time and skills are being used smartly. Establish and manage tech budgets. Maintain full visibility of all work streams with clear priorities and resourcing plan. Making sure documentation is created and maintained.
- Worked in a high growth / start-up environment
- Experience juggling multiple projects, thriving under pressure
- Been accountable for delivery of a product roadmap
- Built, led, scaled and cultivated engineering teams
- Structured, managed and delivered complex projects
- Identified opportunities for process improvements and delivered against these
- Identified and reported on key metrics and KPI’s
Welcome to Blippar, we’re a technology company that specialises in Augmented Reality and Computer Vision, a cutting-edge field within Artificial Intelligence (AI) that trains lenses to recognise and understand the world they see. Our goal is big and unabashedly bold: to enhance the world around us using our extraordinary computer vision and augmented reality technologies. Because of this, working with us is a genuine opportunity to help forever shape the future of these technologies. Think ‘the early days of the Internet’ … but bigger.
Since launching in the UK in 2011, Blippar’s technology has been used by world-leading brands such as PepsiCo, Porsche, Nestlé, L’Oréal, GSK, General Mills and Procter & Gamble to create exciting and award-winning experiences which deepen consumer engagement. And this is just the beginning. Blippar had grown to world leading augmented reality and computer vision company. Blippar has been named on the CNBC Disruptor 50 list for three years running as well as listed as part of Fast Company’s ‘Most Innovative Companies in AR/VR’ in 2016 and 2018.
Our wonderfully diverse team, spread in 3 continents, is bursting with visionaries, inventors, developers, artists, dealmakers, mathematicians, organisers and writers. Every single person at Blippar is integral to our company’s colorful, energetic and collaborative working environment, one in which imagination, innovation and originality are first valued, then nurtured. We pride ourselves in creativity and the ability to deliver groundbreaking AR and AI solutions that make eyes widen and jaws drop. So, if you’re the kind of person who gets goose bumps even thinking about being part of a fast-paced company spearheading a technological revolution, it’s time for us to meet.